We thought it was all just a pipe dream, but it looks like the proposed mega-fight between Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather may actually come to fruition, as both fighters have allegedly come to a deal.
According to a source close to Conor McGregor, the two parties “have both settled on their respective fees.”
“The contract hasn’t officially been signed yet because of a third-party holdup, but all the details have all been agreed on,” the source told the Irish Sun.
“The fight could even be announced within two weeks.”
In regards to the “third-party holdup,” this is most likely referring to UFC President Dana White, who has previously made it known that he would not allow the fight to happen because McGregor is already under contract for four more fights.
“I think the odds of this happening are like the odds of me being the backup QB for Brady on Sunday,” White told TMZ in early February.
Despite offering Mayweather $25 million for a fight in early January, this was more just a call-your-bluff scenario than anything, and White has hinted that McGregor may face consequences should he go through with the fight.
But the Irishman’s wild card side is what makes him such a big draw, and considering that he’s gone to the trouble to get his boxing license, we anticipate him going to great lengths to make this thing happen.